Tuesday, February 17, 2009

American Teenager

Yes, I know that's the title of a movie or television show or something, but it seemed most appropriate.
I am so sick and tired of people assuming that just because someone isn't yet a legal adult that they should be talked down to or treated less than a person over the age of 18. Just because someone hasn't yet gone to college doesn't mean they can't be trusted like a normal adult. It's amazing how quickly someone will assume that you aren't mature enough because you are, for instance, fourteen. Who cares if I'm fourteen? Just because of my age doesn't mean I'm completely incapable of acting like an adult!
And what is acting like an adult exactly? I know several adults who act like their five, and I know teenagers who act like they're thirty! Like my friend Black, for instance. She's my age yet she's one of the most mature people I know. And then there are people who have PhD's yet still lie and throw hissy-fits even though they're fifty.
I'm not saying that all teenagers are mature and should be trusted. Some of us act like we should be in kindergarden. But not all of us.
So excuse me for being a teenager. But please don't treat me any different. I don't care if you don't trust me, but don't do it because of my age. Do it because I broke your trust. And don't assume that just because someone's older they know what's right. And don't assume that I have no idea what's best for myself. I know better than anyone. And if you think all teenagers are liars and cheaters then maybe you should take some time and really talk to them, because there's more under the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment